Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Donuts


Banana Chocolate Chip Donuts

My sweet girl and I made these for breakfast this morning and they were delicious! I bought a donut maker at Target a couple weeks ago and am always searching for yummy donut recipes. These turned out so good! I would have loved to have eaten 3 or 4 for breakfast, but I restrained myself to only 1. I wanted to make the recipe (mostly) as it was the first time, however, next time I think I'm going to try and couple of tweaks to see if I can bring the point value down to 2 instead of 3. Not sure if they'll taste as good with the changes, so I'm posting the original recipe for now, and will post the changed one after I get a chance to try it and see how they taste. These are great for a quick breakfast or a yummy after dinner dessert!

Ingredients:
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium bananas)
½ c. raw cane sugar
½ c. fat free Greek yogurt
¼ c. butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt.
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Topping:
2 T. raw cane sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
1.   Heat donut maker and spray each donut iron spot with cooking spray.
2.   Using an electric mixer (preferably with a whisk attachment) add the mashed bananas, sugar and greek yogurt. Mix well. Add melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until blended. Do not over mix. Fold in chocolate chips. In a separate bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon for topping.
3.   Put all the dough in a large Ziploc bag and seal shut. Cut the corner out so you can pipe the dough into the molds. Fill bottom half of donut molds. Sprinkle just a little cinnamon and sugar on top and close donut mold. Cook 6-7 minutes then put on a cooling rack to cool. Spray pan again and repeat process until all dough is used.
 
***Can also be baked in the oven in a donut pan (or so the original recipe says) 325 for 12-15 minutes. 

Yields 24 servings – WWP+ 3 points  

Recipe adapted from Janie's Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment